Thank You! Modeh Ani Music
Use this song- or other examples of great Modeh Ani music- to start a joyful Jewish day.
The big idea of this Modeh Ani zipper song is simple and powerful: Jewish people pray in the morning. Give thanks!
ACTIVITIES: THANK YOU!
• Teach the children that this prayer can be the first thing they do in the morning. Pretend that the children are sleeping before starting this song. Allow children to lay down, pretend to snore, or even curl up with a blankie, pretending to sleep through the night and then let them ‘wake up’ to the sound of the song, encouraging them to rise up singing.
• Teach the chorus of the song “Modeh, Modeh, Modeh Ani, I’m as thank-ful as I can be, wake up each morning, first thing I say- is thank you to G*D for this day” then help children complete each line of the verse with their own idea.
• Suggest to families that they program their favorite setting of Modeh Ani Music be set as their alarm clock sound. Any cell phone can be programmed to ring the mp3 of choice at any particular time.
• Ask children to think of what they have or know that makes then want to say Thank You to G*D. Sing “Thank you for __________” and call on a child to “fill-in-the-blank.” Allowing children to sit or stand in a line and then go straight through the line so that children can anticipate when their turn will be and reduce the distraction that is raised hands. Make sure to model an attitude of gratitude by sharing for what you are thankful!
• In groups of children that are not yet verbal, insert each child’s name into the verses, modeling the appreciation of members of our community and acknowledging each child is a great way to foster relationships.